New emergency alert system will give Obama the power to flip a switch and address the entire nation at once
- White House wants to be able to instantly talk to the entire country in the event of a terror attack of major natural disaster
- Current 'Emergency Alert System' relies on each radio or TV station to forward emergency messages to the next broadcaster in a chain
- The Obama administration instead wants the power to flip a switch and override the entire EAS network, speaking instantly on every public broadcast at once
- 'Big Brother is talking to you,' warned a senior Republican congressional staffer. 'This is just begging to be abused'
- Hackers gained access to an EAS signal in Montana last year, broadcasting a phony alert about a zombie apocalypse